Tuesday, September 8, 2015

I Needed That Pain



In the television series, LOST, Sawyer asked John Locke if given the chance, would he go back in time and change things to save himself a world of pain. I've been thinking a lot about Locke's answer: "No, I needed that pain - to get to where I am now."

It's well known that we grow and learn the most through our struggles. We get stronger when we endure pain. It is how character is developed. No one likes the pain, but it is easy to look back and recognize how pain develops us.

I've been in a pretty tough time over the past year. Troubles have come into our life that have made me think our battles against cancer were a piece of cake. It looks like we could be coming to the end of the horror, but the lingering effects of what we've been enduring are likely to stick around forever.

The pain of life can leave us permanently wounded or scarred, but the question I keep asking myself is the one Sawyer asked Locke. If I could, would I go back and change it to save myself the pain? No. As much as I hate my pain, as badly as I hurt, I would not turn around and go back. This pain has a purpose. I have no idea what that purpose is, but I know it has one. Whether I ever truly understand the extent of that purpose, I will trust that the pain I've endured will get me where I need to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment