Tuesday, August 1, 2017

End of Summer Brunch




This has been quite an interesting summer. Each of the four of us were mostly separated as we were spread out in various parts of the country. Morgan began the summer in San Diego and Dylan left for an internship in Fort Worth. Bill has been working in Fort Worth since April and is still there, likely til the end of the year. I was able to spend most of the summer with him at the Hilton downtown (side note: that is the last place where JFK slept before his assassination).

This morning, following my run, I came home and made my kids brunch. It's been ages since they have both been under the same roof and I have been able to do this. And I don't know when it will happen again. I felt both happy and sad as I made apple dumplings and egg casseroles (one with sausage and the other meatless because I have a vegetarian daughter).

Although I am excited for my kids and their being all grown up, I feel such an emptiness too. For the past two decades, everything I do is about their safety and well-being. Where we live, what we do, everything- it's with them in mind. In less than a year, my baby boy will be gone. My husband travels a lot. I know good things await us, but I'm already missing being the mom.

About brunch... it was seriously yummy and super easy to make. Here's what I did:

Apple Dumplings:
On the stove, heat one stick of butter, one cup of water, about 3/4 cup sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla.
While it heats, core and cut an apple.
Open canned biscuits and roll each of them out.
Place an apple slice in each and seal them.
Pour the sauce from the stove on top.
Sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
Bake for 30-35 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees.

The Egg Casseroles:
Scramble eggs (I add only salt and pepper)
Cook sausage or bacon (whichever is on-hand)
Place eggs, sausage and cheese in baking dish.
Bake til all melted.
























No comments:

Post a Comment